Talk about Feeling Better: How Self-worth Improves Your Relationships and Beats Depression with Lori Gottlieb and Dr. Ron Frey
Original Air Date Wednesday, May 8, 2019
All of us need someone to talk to. Human beings require relationships and communication in order to be fulfilled. Speaking to a therapist can alleviate anxiety and help us overcome issues that may seem insurmountable on our own. But how do we decide which type of therapy fits our own unique needs? How do we choose a therapist we can open up to and trust to lead us in the right direction? To dig deeper into this subject Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two professional psychotherapists who practice different models of therapy. Lori Gottlieb discusses the basis of her book, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed. And, Dr. Ronald Frey whose book, Feeling Better: Beat Depression and Improve Your Relationships with Interpersonal Psychotherapy, takes an externally referenced relationship-based approach to overcoming depression.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- In her book, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed, Lori describes what it is like to go to therapy as a therapist. [1:26]
- These are the top issues people ask for Lori for guidance about as a top mental health media contributor [8:18]
- Lisa reads an excerpt about an off-putting character from Lori’s book. [11:37]
- Lori describes what it is like to be a therapist outside of the office. [16:37]
- Is everyone who visits a therapist looking for happiness? [23:44]
- Lisa and Lori discuss Google stalking your therapist. [28:13]
Lori Gottlieb is a psychotherapist and New York Times bestselling author who writes The Atlantic’s weekly “Dear Therapist” advice column. Her most recent book, MAYBE YOU SHOULD TALK TO SOMEONE is in development for a television series at ABC.
Book: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
- Dr. Frey explains the basics of Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) and how it approaches depression? [32:55]
- The skills IPT can help develop for those with mild to moderate depression or those living with those who have symptoms. [37:08]
- How Dr. Frey brings resistant patients into the IPT model. [46:29]
- How an externally referenced therapy model differs from an internally referenced therapy model. [50:12]
- Dr. Frey describes the process and duration of Interpersonal Psychotherapy. [55:34]
Ronald J. Frey, Ph.D. is a former acting chief psychologist for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and a registered forensic and clinical psychologist. He is the co-author of Feeling Better and the co-director of the Institute for Interpersonal Psychotherapy with Cindy Stulberg. Ron lives in Quebec.
Book: Feeling Better: Beat Depression and Improve Your Relationships with Interpersonal Psychotherapy
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
TWEETABLESClick To Tweet
“Our thoughts take us out of the present moment whereas our relationships if we are living them, we are in it.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Emotional Triage: How to Stay Mentally Healthy, Strong, and Balanced Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic with Professor Catherine A. Sanderson
Emotional Triage: How to Stay Mentally Healthy, Strong, and Balanced Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic with Professor Catherine A. Sanderson Original Air Date Wednesday, April 1, 2020 For the entire human population, life has changed dramatically in just a short...
Being Purposeful: Applying Yourself to What Matters Most with Vic Strecher Original Air Date Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Purpose is creating a goal or a set of goals around what means most to you in your life. Research suggests that people who live a purposeful life...
Understand and Activate Your Subconscious Mind with Dr. Mike Dow & Mark Gober Original Air Date Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Most people have pondered their purpose in life. ‘Why am I here?’ and ‘what am I here to do?’ are common questions we ask of the...