Home for the Holidays: The Art of Hosting and Creating an Atmosphere for Celebration with Jenni Kayne & Alex Hitz
Original Air Date Wednesday, Nov 6, 2019
This episode is about embracing and enjoying time with friends and family during this and every holiday season. Hosting a gathering of those you love doesn’t have to be a pressure-filled nail-biter. Taking the time to plan and prep before the event allows you to enjoy the party and experience the gathering as a guest rather than the hostess who never breathes a sigh of relief until the party is over. Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors and party planning specialists about the top tips and insights to planning the perfect party for your guests and your family. Jenni Kayne created her lifestyle brand based on her roots in California minimalism and seasonal decorating. And, Alex Hitz wants to get the conversation going by preparing meals in advance, serving traditional
favorites, and creating flow for events.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Jenni explains what she enjoys about living the California lifestyle minimalistically. [1:46]
- Entertaining is all about prepping in advance so you can relax and be a guest at your own party. [4:30]
- Using seasonal foods and flowers as table decorations re-purposes the things you already have and reduces waste. [8:25]
- Jenni Kayne as a lifestyle brand started as sweaters and now includes furniture and a uniform. [14:24]
- How the changing seasons naturally bring color into the home. [22:22]
- Top tips for maintaining sanity and happiness during your busy life. [25:41]
Jenni Kayne is the creator of the eponymous, laid-back, luxe lifestyle brand that enjoys cult status among celebrities. Inspired by organic textures, thoughtful simplicity, and natural landscapes, she has quickly become an all-encompassing lifestyle brand rooted in California minimalism.
Book: Pacific Natural: Simple, Seasonal Entertaining
- The dos and don’ts of a thoughtful host. [28:44]
- Creating a schedule, creating flow for your event, and the element of surprise. [29:39]
- The goal is to bring back the art of conversation and to enjoy being with other people.38:28]
- Planning a flawless holiday gathering every single time. [42:31]
Alex Hitz is an award-winning chef, speaker, columnist, event designer, and master host. He has been a frequent guest on TODAY, Access Hollywood, CBS Morning, and more than 40 other television shows. His first book, My Beverly Hills Kitchen, was featured in the NYT, WSJ, Vogue, Vanity Fair, and many more. He is a contributing editor at House Beautiful, Town and Country, Departures, Southern Living, and more.
Book: The Art of the Host: Recipes and Rules for Flawless Entertaining
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Skillshare — is an online learning community of makers and knowledge seekers where you will find upwards of 25,000 classes in design, business, and more. You’ll discover countless ways to fuel your curiosity, creativity, and career. Life-long learning boosts human happiness. Listeners of my podcast get two months of unlimited access for free at skillshare.com/HH.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“Listen as we bring civility back to the art of entertaining.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The more I am feeling good and balanced and in the moment the better mom I am. It all trickles down.” @JenniKayne on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Advanced preparation is essential if you want to be a guest at your own party.” @JenniKayne on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“For us, the holidays have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with tradition and coming together with friends and family.” @JenniKayne on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Never make anything for the first time when you are having people over.” @JenniKayne on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Parties are about people and about people being together.” @HitzAlex on @HHTalk_Radio Click To Tweet“The key to success is to do it all ahead of time.” @HitzAlex on @HHTalk_Radio Click To Tweet“There is a golden age for everything.” @HitzAlex on @HHTalk_Radio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.