Honing Our Habits and Finessing Our Focus In The Digital Age with Chris Bailey & James Clear
Original Air Date Wednesday, January 2, 2019
Consider how many times you pick up and look at your phone every day. Is it a habit or a conscious choice? What would it take for you to change the frequency in which you check your device? Could you put it down completely if you knew it would increase your productivity and make your relationships better? Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen delves into discussions about the pitfalls of living in a digital age with two authors who dissect our distractions. Chris Bailey has studied stimulation statistics and shares how intention and focus can increase productivity. And James Clear offers a fundamental framework for fast-tracking a behavior change to adopt new or eliminate old habits.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Chris shares his discovery on how to make life feel productive and meaningful in this digital age. [2:19]
- Can working fewer hours really increase our productivity? [5:43]
- Top tips, tools, and tactics to help tame distractions and increase productivity. [10:09]
- The top five activities that make us the happiest, attention residue, and the benefits of a stimulation deficit. [20:11]
- Approaching life with focus, intention, and mindfulness can lead us into flow. [25:29]
Chris Bailey first became interested in productivity in high school when he read David Allen’s 2001 book Getting Things Done. A graduate of Carleton University Sprott School of Business, Chris took a 1 year sabbatical following graduation during which he conducted productivity experiments on himself. These and other observations from his experiments are documented in the 2016 bestseller, The Productivity Project. His new book, Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction was released in August 2018. Chris lives in Ontario, Canada.
Book: Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
- James describes what an atomic habit is and how it fits the narrative of his latest book, Atomic Habits. [34:17]
- The innate purpose of habits in our lives, how they are a precursor to mastery, and how they shape our identity. [37:13]
- The Four Laws of Behavior Change make it possible to adopt and eliminate habits. [46:30]
- Sticking with or creating new habits is never easy, but James explains the forces you can use to keep yourself on track. [48:04]
James Clear is an American author, entrepreneur, and photographer. He graduated from Denison University, was an ESPN All-American baseball pitcher and went on to Ohio State to earn his MBA. The focus of his life’s work is habits and human potential. Always seeking to answer the question “How can we live better?”, James has recently released his book, Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones.
Book: Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
“Productivity is a side effect of managing our intention well.” @Chris_Bailey on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The state of our attention determines the state of our lives.” @Chris_Bailey on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“I wasn't able to just flip a switch and radically transform. I had to find a small way to get better each day.” @jamesclear on @HH_Talk_Radio Click To Tweet“Habits help us survive and move throughout the world fluidly.” @jamesclear on @HH_Talk_Radio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Breaking Yourself Wide Open to Create Personal and Professional Greatness with Diana Wong Ph.D. & Darrin Tulley
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Breaking Yourself Wide Open to Create Personal and Professional Greatness. Guests Diana Wong Ph.D. & Darrin Tulley discuss the core elements of a visionary business leader, why it’s essential to learn the soft skills in life and strategic planning for implementing change in business and life. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Understand and Activate Your Subconscious Mind with Dr. Mike Dow & Mark Gober Original Air Date Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Most people have pondered their purpose in life. ‘Why am I here?’ and ‘what am I here to do?’ are common questions we ask of the...
Wondery Presents The School of Greatness With Lewis Howes Original Air Date Thursday, March 12, 2020 The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes is the best place to learn how to dream bigger, live better, and make an impact. The show features conversations with...