Investigating What’s Happening in American Politics and Taking Direct Action for Global Awakening with David Cay Johnston & Monk Yun Rou
Original Air Date Wednesday, Jan 8th, 2020
As environmental standards are rolled back and democratic systems are being dismantled, income inequality is permeating the streets of Anytown, U.S.A. Media outlet conglomerates have all but taken over former investigative journalism sources creating an imbalanced society made up of the little guys versus the giants. Individuals searching to find their purpose and re-engage with their values are moving towards changing the system by finding peace within themselves and then paying it forward. To uncover which actions make the most impact, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks to two authors who have found the answers within themselves and then share them with the world. David Cay Johnston is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist who in spite of his many years covering politics has rebelled against cynicism and created the non-profit news source, DC Report. And, Monk Yun Rou shares the Taoist tenants he lives by, how pure science and nature are the peaceful way forward, and he discusses the principles from his recent book, Mad Monk Manifesto.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- David describes how he stays balanced and away from becoming a cynic like many of his peers. [4:32]
- It’s Even Worse Than You Think: What the Trump Administration is Doing to America covers the first 256-days of the Trump Administration. [6:44]
- Does government exist for the benefit of its’ people? [10:47]
- As an investigative journalist, David extracts good things out of exposing the dark side of corruption, homicides, and injustices. [12:54]
- David describes the object of society and what individuals can do to stay engaged and make society better. [15:56]
- Living a life of integrity and honor is the recipe for living a good life. [18:22]
- Is it our responsibility to be our brother’s keeper? [23:11]
David Cay Johnston is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter and best- selling author. He has lectured on reporting techniques, tax policy, and ethics on every continent except Antarctica. Johnston is known for his skill at explaining complex economic, law-enforcement and tax issues, for which he was awarded a Pulitzer prize in 2001. Long before it was a kitchen table topic, Johnston was documenting America’s growing income inequality and exposing subtle government policies that create wealth and want.
Book: It’s Even Worse Than You Think: What the Trump Administration is Doing to America
- Why Ivy league academic Arthur Rosenfeld decided to be ordained as a monk? [27:45]
- Mad Monk Manifesto: A Prescription for Evolution, Revolution, and Global Awakening inspects how each person can live in the Taoist way and lead by example. [31:00]
- Fear leads inevitably to hate. [39:44]
- Monk Yun Rou describes the tenants of Taoism and the Taoist model of a great leader. [42:36]
- Pure science and nature is the key to understanding the world. [50:31]
Yun Rou, born Arthur Rosenfeld in New York City, received his academic background at Yale, Cornell, and the University of California, and was ordained a Daoist monk in Guangzhou, China in 2012. The host of the hit National Public Television show “Longevity Tai Chi”, he is the author of more than 15 books, including award-winning novels optioned for film in Hollywood and Asia.
Book: Mad Monk Manifesto: A Prescription for Evolution, Revolution, and Global Awakening
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“There is a lot of stuff being undone in this country that is going to have repercussions for the rest of our lives and in perpetuity.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Kids today are looking for the shortcut to get from here to there with the least amount of work or resistance.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“It's important to focus on benefiting others, not yourself.” @DavidCayJ on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Many of my peers, by the time they are my age are fairly paranoid and unhappy. It’s true of a lot of detectives I've known.” @DavidCayJ on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“If you are a journalist and you get to Washington, especially at one of the big papers, if you were given the regulatory beat to most reporters it's a sentence of death.” @DavidCayJ on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“If you do something you care about and have a purpose in life you will do better, you'll be happier, and you are less likely to be depressed.” @DavidCayJ on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Figure out who you are. There are some parts about who you are you can't do anything about. That's how you are wired. If you don't accept that you're not going to have a happy life.” @DavidCayJ on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Very early, I just kept asking, seeking, and searching for deeper answers.” @MonkYunRou on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Books allow us the opportunity to think deeply about things.” @MonkYunRou on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“We as a human species we behave much like a cancer on the face of the planet.” @MonkYunRou on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Taoism tells us to follow the ways of nature.” @MonkYunRou on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Altruism and cooperation, in evolutionary terms, are arguably the defining characteristic of the human species.” @MonkYunRou on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.