The Man Crisis: What Misandry Means for the Future of Education, Politics, and Culture with Dr. Warren Farrell & Dr. Paul Nathanson
Original Air Date Wednesday, May 22, 2019
In developed nations, the traditional roles of men and women have become blurred. Misogyny and misandry are permeating through cultures like never before in history. Common factors include single mother households and the severely reduced involvement of the father during the raising of young children. Data shows that boys and young men are the ones affected most by these changes. In schools, boys are falling behind girls in almost every academic subject. And, the single biggest predictor of suicide, drug addiction, and mass shootings is the lack
of a father in a child’s life. To discuss the data and to understand what can be done to reverse this alarming trend, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two men who have studied and written about the current male crisis. Dr. Warren Farrell discusses the beneficial behaviors boys miss out on when the father is not present in his life. And, Paul Nathanson shares his views on how a healthy relationship between a mother and father can be the key to raising boys with healthy identities.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Dr. Farrell explains why the lack of father involvement is the cause of boys falling behind girls in every academic subject in developed nations. [1:52]
- Are strong father figures adequate to support young men when the biological father is not present? [5:26]
- What are the benefits of a father’s parenting style including roughhousing? [8:06]
- The 4 Must-Dos for single mothers who are raising a young boy on their own. [15:03]
- The benefit of sports and coaches for boys growing up without a father. [16:59]
- Dr. Farrell describes why the mixed messages of the past created stress for young boys and how today’s messages differ. [19:00]
Dr. Warren Farrell is the author of books published in 17 languages. He is currently the Chair of the Commission to Create a White House Council on Boys and Men. He is the only man in the U.S. to have been elected three times to the Board of the National Organization for Women (NOW) in New York City and has started more than 300 men and women’s groups, including ones joined by men from John Lennon to John Gray.
Book: The Boy Crisis: Why Our Boys Are Struggling and What We Can Do About It
- Dr. Nathanson explains misandry and the pervasiveness of it in today’s society. [28:15]
- How a young man’s healthy identity is linked to his distinctive, necessary, and publicly valued contributions. [30:06]
- The importance of a father in a child’s life and Dr. Nathanson’s view on gender-specific mother and father roles. [32:00]
- Dr. Nathanson’s reviews the content of his books on misandry. [38:55]
- Revenge vs. Justice, Hatred vs. Anger, and fear-based responses. [43:10]
- Lisa and Dr. Nathanson discuss the legal boundaries that affect both men and women. [47:22]
Dr. Paul Nathanson is a gender relations academic professor at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec who has defined the field of misandry in our culture. He is a co-author of Spreading Misandry: The Teaching of Contempt for Men in Popular Culture, Legalizing Misandry: From Public Shame to Systemic Discrimination against Men, Replacing Misandry: A Revolutionary History of Men and Sanctifying Misandry: Goddess Ideology and the Fall of Man.
Book: The Spreading of Misandry: The Teaching of Contempt for Men in Popular Culture
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“What do developed nations have in common. Permission for divorce and permission for women to have children without being married.” @WarrenFarrell on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Lack of father involvement is the single biggest predictor of suicide, drug addiction, gambling habits, and mass shooting events.” @WarrenFarrell on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Father figures are not as potent as biological fathers.” @WarrenFarrell on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Roughhousing is one example of being able to distinguish between assertiveness and aggressiveness and increasing one's empathy.” @WarrenFarrell on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Postponed gratification is the single biggest predictor of success for boys and girls.” @WarrenFarrell on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Speaking of the past, both men and women paid prices. I don't think anyone had it all.” — Dr. Paul Nathanson on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Hatred is a culturally propagated world view. It's not necessarily something that happened to you as an individual.” — Dr. Paul Nathanson on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.