The Mind and Body in Balance: What Modern Medicine Must Learn from Ancient Science with Tiffany Cruikshank & Ed Harrold
Original Air Date Wednesday, June 26, 2019
5,000-10,000 years ago ancient healers knew that regulating breathing through meditation and the practice of yoga was the key to centering our bodies and our minds. Grounding ourselves in the natural world reduced the amount of pain imprinted in our cells and therefore reduced the amount of pain we felt after an injury or as a response to danger. When our mind and body are in alignment our compassion and empathy for each other increase, which assists all of humankind to advance. Eastern practices have slowly seeped into symptom-based Western medicine but what can we still learn about overall well-being from ancient science? To burrow down more deeply into what brings us balance, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two meditative maestros about the medicinal benefits yoga and breathwork have on our physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Tiffany Cruikshank describes how ancient healers used the human body’s energy layer to self-regulate and heal itself. And, Ed Harrold reveals how breathing is the secret medicine we all have access to that calms our central nervous system and provides balance in our mind and body.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Western medicine has not yet fully accepted our body’s energetic layer as unmeasurable and therefore untreatable. [3:59]
- Tiffany shares examples of how yoga offers physical and emotional benefits to our self-regulating bodies. [6:11]
- The mystic of using the healing protocols of ancient medicine. [12:02]
- Using the power of the mind to harness our potential and deal with chronic pain. [15:02]
- The courage to use mindfulness, empathy, and compassion toward ourselves and other human beings. [20:59]
- Tiffany describes the SEVA Foundation and how it offers education and safety to victims of human trafficking and sexual exploitation. [24:03]
Tiffany Cruikshank is an internationally renowned yoga instructor, who has spent the past 20 years crafting a methodology for teaching and practicing yoga. Cruikshank’s teaching is held up by her work as a holistic health practitioner, acupuncturist, and sports medicine expert.
- How Ed began blending the benefits of breath and physical exercise to improve mental clarity, mood, and performance. [29:34]
- The mechanics of nasal versus mouth breathing and the benefits of oxygen-rich parasympathetic nerve endings. [33:24]
- Ed describes the mind-body connection and how to incorporate it into your daily life. [36:48]
- The benefits and unlimited resources corporate clients realize after doing inner work. [40:18]
- Ed shares daily strategies and a 30-day breathing guide to repattern your autonomic central nervous system quickly. [47:37]
Ed Harrold is an author, inspirational leader, public speaker, coach, and educator. Ed blends the fields of neuroscience and the wisdom of contemplative traditions into effective strategies to improve well-being in Corporate America, Healthcare, athletic performance, and individual health. Ed has served as the Director of Yoga and Sports Training for The Kripalu Institute for Extraordinary Living to study breathing in performance states.
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Noom — a psychology based platform and a habit changing solution that helps users learn to develop a new relationship with food through personalized courses and coaching. Join me in reaching for better health and receive 2 free weeks today at www.noom.com/happiness to start your free trial today!
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“Not everyone understands the concept of mindfulness.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The human condition is rife with both positive and negative.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The beauty of yoga is that it can address the many different facets of who we are.” @yoga_medicine on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Yoga can be used as an owner’s manual to our bodies.” @yoga_medicine on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Acknowledging that there is an energetic layer of the body is hard in our medical world”. @yoga_medicine on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Pain doesn’t actually happen in your tissue, it happens in your brain.” @yoga_medicine on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Creating body awareness also creates healing maps.” @yoga_medicine on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The idea of experiencing empathy and compassion for another person without having for yourself is difficult.” @yoga_medicine on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“When we are looking to create mental awareness expansion or to evolve old habits and behaviors, these patterns are held in our fat cells.” @Ed_Harrold on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“When you get air into the lower lobes of the lungs helps set in motion a beautiful moment of transformation.” @Ed_Harrold on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“How can we move forward and harvest the inner happiness that is with us all along the way?” @Ed_Harrold on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Corporate clients who do the inner work see revenue go through the roof because energy isn’t wasted on counterproductive work.” @Ed_Harrold on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The top of the pyramid will take care of itself if you take care of your foundation.” @Ed_Harrold on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.