Positive Business Building: Thriving Workplaces with a Culture of Joy with Rich Sheridan & Professor Gretchen Spreitzer
Original Air Date Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Do you derive joy and fulfillment from your work? Do you feel energized by the service you provide to your team and your clients? How different would your life be if your organization injected positivity, flexibility, and energy into its culture? The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business is trying to do just that. Backed by science, the Center for Positive Organizations creates tools and practices utilized by revolutionary companies like Menlo Innovations. During this episode, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks to the
CEO of Menlo Innovations, Rich Sheridan and the Keynote Speaker of thePositive Business Conference, Professor Gretchen Spreitzer about how adding humanity into business can create positive cultures in the new world of work. In this episode you will learn about:
Injecting positivity, flexibility and energy into your organization How humanity and business can successfully coexist Applying science to create a thriving workplace Servant leadership – what is and isn’t.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Rich describes the purpose behind the Positive Business Conference at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. [2:39]
- Why Menlo Innovations was created and what they have been bringing to the software industry for 18 years. [5:09]
- The goal to create modern workplaces in which employees can thrive. [9:34]
- Rich shares some of the revolutionary concepts practiced and promoted by the Ross Business School. [13:36]
- The attributes that make Menlo Innovations culture so successful. [20:39]
- How to create a purpose-driven business through servant leadership. [28:25]
Richard Sheridan is CEO, co-founder, and Chief Storyteller of Menlo Innovations, which has won the ‘When Work Works’ award for eleven straight years and five revenue recognitions from Inc. magazine. Menlo and Rich have been featured on the covers of Inc., Entrepreneur, Forbes and New York magazine. He frequently speaks around the world at business conferences and to major corporations such as MassMutual, Adobe, Nike, and Intel. He lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Book: Chief Joy Officer: How Great Leaders Elevate Human Energy and Eliminate Fear
- Gretchen explains the work and the aim of the Center for Positive Organizations. [33:49]
- How science can be used to produce thriving workplaces with authenticworkforces. [35:14]
- Gretchen defines what it means to be ‘thriving at work’. [39:13]
- The 3 levers to create and maintain energy at work. [42:01]
- How to elevate an organization with humanity, joy, and love. [48:17]
- The 3 dimensions of the new world of work. [51:56]
Gretchen Spreitzer is the Alessi Professor Business Administration at Ross School of Business University of Michigan. She is a core faculty member of the Center for Positive Organizations and Area chair of the Management and Organizations Department.
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Audible — Time is a precious commodity and taking the time to listen more is a gift. There is no better place to listen than Audible. It has the largest and most diverse collection of audiobooks on the planet. Try it yourself free for 30-days by visiting Audible.com/HH or text the code ‘HH’ to 500500. Start listening to your favorite books today.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“In order for me to thrive, I need to work outside of the conventional box.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet Click To Tweet“The part that makes us most human is the part that gets shut down when we are in fear mode.” @Menloprez on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“It would be silly for us to think we could get to joy without also having a happiness component.” @Menloprez on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Is there positive spillover of thriving into other aspects of life or is it neutral, or is it negative?” @MichiganRoss on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Thriving at work is when people have the joint experience of feeling like they are growing, developing, and getting better at the same time that they feel really energized by their work.” @MichiganRoss on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Most of the research about energy recovery at work has focused on how people used their evenings, weekends, and vacations to recover their energy.” @MichiganRoss on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Humanity and joy and love are words we don’t often connect with the workplace but when we do it can elevate the organization in a whole new way.” @MichiganRoss on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.