Regain Mental Mastery and Stop Self- sabotaging Behavior by Reprogramming Your Monkey Mind for Success with JF Benoist & Todd Herman
Original Air Date Wednesday, May 15, 2019
As we grow, our brains are continually building the construct of who we think we are. Input from our environment, society, and people close to us are all factors in who we perceive ourselves to be. Every action and reaction we make throughout our lifetimes is affected by our programmed identities. But who are we really? What powers are we able to conjure up by transforming our program and taking on a new identity? To discover the truth about our authentic self and understand how we can break free of past programming, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors who teach others how to reinvent themselves into who they want to be. Her first guest J.F. Benoist shares how to manipulate the monkey mind through breathe work and how awareness leads to change. And, Todd Herman describes how to use the alter ego effect to transform what we believe we can achieve.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- J.F. explains what the essence of his book, Addicted to the Monkey Mind: Change the Programming That Sabotages Your Life, is about. [1:40]
- Feelings are not facts: Breaking free of past programming. [6:47]
- Our addictions are all related to the fight or flight response. [10:13]
- How to overcome the myth of shame to release the hold it has on our life. [14:42]
- Questions to ask yourself when you feel discomfort. [21:14]
- The Mankind Project teaches men to trust their emotional intelligence. [22:56]
J.F. Benoist has been counseling people struggling with addiction, mental health, and relationship issues for over twenty years. He is the co-founder of The Exclusive Hawaii, a holistic, dual-diagnosis treatment center, creator of the therapeutic methodology Experiential Engagement TherapyTM (EET), and author of the skills-based book, Addicted to the Monkey Mind: Change the Programming That Sabotages Your Life.
Book: Addicted to the Monkey Mind: Change the Programming That Sabotages Your Life
- Todd explains how we can use our creative imagination to make the most of who we are. [28:08]
- 3 Tips to activate and mobilize your alter ego. [36:11]
- The surprising power of the psychological phenomenon of Enclothed Cognition. [42:08]
Todd Herman is an author, performance advisor, and entrepreneur. For 22 years, his training company, Herman Performance Systems, has focused on helping achievers and ambitious people in sports and business achieve wildly outrageous goals while enjoying the process.
Book: The Alter Ego Effect: The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“The brain can not discern between mortal threat and perceived threat.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The alter ego effect helps us to play up or play bigger.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Having a healthy relationship with emotion is something most people don't have. “ @JFBenoist on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“People who are truly happy have an enormous capacity for discomfort.” @JFBenoist on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“When we develop a relationship with our programming it slowly stops having a hold on our life.” @JFBenoist on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“If we build a relationship with our programming and we become aware of it we will naturally want to let it go.” @JFBenoist on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Our heroic self is waiting to be unleashed.” @Todd_Herman on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“You have the power. It's all inside of you.” @Todd_Herman on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.