A The Intersection of Ethical Capitalism and Conscious Consumerism with Jane Mosbacher-Morris & Adam Waytz
Original Air Date Wednesday, July 22, 2020
This episode is about ethical buying decisions and embracing our shared humanity to create a better world. When companies focus on products, the human factor is often an afterthought. But markets are ultimately driven by consumer demand and consumers are human. When we humans make buying decisions that align with our values we can change the world, we can influence election outcomes, and we can enrich the lives of others. To uncover the potential of this new way of spending currency, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors about building strong connections and how to be compassionate while spending our time and money. Guests, Jane Mosbacher-Morris assists consumers with finding companies who align with their values and Adam Waytz shares suggestions on how we can all avoid the dehumanization currently afoot in today’s culture.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Jane shares examples of how consumer buying decisions of products such as coffee and fashion can impact the world. [1:33]
- The market-driven dynamic of ethically and responsibly produced products, from a cost perspective. [8:56]
- How consumers can make better decisions about what they are buying. [14:38]
- Understanding the purchasing power of women. [20:38]
- Sourcemap.com tracks how products are made and where they are coming from. [22:21]
Jane Mosbacher Morris is the Founder and CEO of TO THE MARKET, a company that connects businesses and consumers to ethically made products from around the world. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service from Georgetown University and an MBA from Columbia Business School.
Book: Buy the Change You Want to See: Using Your Purchasing Power to Make the World a Better Place
- Adam explains the concept of shared humanity and the four pillars of subtle dehumanization. [27:27]
- How do we restore or bolster our humanity? [33:28]
- The power of human touch has vast psychological effects. [41:28]
- The importance of taking time to experience other people. [46:31]
Adam Waytz is an award-winning social psychologist and associate professor at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management. His writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Harvard Business Review, the Wall Street Journal, and elsewhere. He lives in Chicago, Illinois.
Book: The Power of Human: How Our Shared Humanity Can Help Us Create a Better World
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your sustainable well-being and happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget that we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.