Finding Your Tribe: The Importance of Building Strong Connections to Help Our Communities Thrive with Radha Agrawal & Dr. Ann Steiner
Original Air Date Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Human beings are meant to function as part of a community. Yet, one in four Americans say they have no friends to confide in. Feeling loneliness or isolation can be detrimental to our health so why are we spending so much time alone? Why are we one of the least likely nations to touch each other when we communicate? And, why don’t we exploit our natural ability to dose ourselves with feel-good hormones? To uncover the reasons and discover the solutions, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two women who want to unlock the beauty of the human experience through dance and communications. Daybreaker creator Radha Agrawal and Expert Group Facilitator Dr. Ann Steiner share the different ways humans can become involved with like- minded tribes and communicate effectively within those groups.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- What inspired Radha to create the Daybreaker dance experience? [2:28]
- Radha wrote Belong: Find Your People, Create Community and Live A More Connected Life to demonstrate how people can find their people. [6:57]
- Daybreaker events help people get their daily D.O.S.E. [10:59]
- Getting gooey with yourself to understand what you really want and how you show up for others. [20:19]
- The importance of gentle self-awareness, giving our attention to friends, and playfulness. [24:21]
Radha Agrawal is a social entrepreneur, impact investor, inventor, speaker, and lifelong community builder. She co-founded Daybreaker, the grassroots, sober early morning dance phenomenon that takes place in 25 cities across the globe and has a rapidly growing loyal community of almost half a million people. Radha is also an angel investor with over a dozen exciting start-ups whose investors also include Beyoncé, Mark Cuban, and Troy Carter. She is also the recipient of the Tribeca Disruptive Innovation Award and has been touted as “1 of 8 women who will change the world” by MTV. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Book: Belong: Find Your People, Create Community and Live A More Connected Life
- The advantages of establishing group agreements to reach a common goal. [31:48]
- The 12-step program outlined in Dr. Steiner’s book, Help Your Group Thrive, clearly defines roles for group members. [35:15]
- Is it possible to have healthy conflict in a group? [37:50]
- How to make group members feel at ease and confirm ownership. [43:56]
- The importance of providing constructive feedback to a group. [47:41]
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
StoryWorth — Documenting and sharing our journeys with those we care about brings us closer together. StoryWorth captures the magic of storytelling and preserves your memories. Memories will be bound into a hardcover, printed keepsake book. Get $20 off a priceless gift that keeps on giving at StoryWorth.com/Happiness.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“We are the most connected generation in the world and yet most of us feel at some point in time disconnected.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“If we can just focus on finding the friends that give us wings to make us fly we will find the love of our lives.” @dybrkr on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Dance is one of those healing meditative modalities. It's the most creative modality. It reconnects so many creative neural pathways.” @dybrkr on @HH_TalkRadi Click To Tweet“Americans are the number one porn viewers in the world. We replace our need for touch and intimacy with sexual energy and pornography.” @dybrkr on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“We are not just throwing a dance party we are throwing an experience to unlock people's happiness and human experience.” @dybrkr on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Self-awareness is the first step in your journey to finding yourself and your community.” @dybrkr on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“If everyone in a group is coming together for the same reason it maximizes the impact and it makes the group more effective.” — Dr. Ann Steiner on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Healthy conflict in a group can actually be good for its members.” — Dr. Ann Steiner on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Respect based conflict resolution can lead to greater creativity and innovation.” — Dr. Ann Steiner on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success with Rich Sheridan & James Goebel
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Joy on Purpose: Building a Culture of Happiness for Personal and Professional Success. Guests Rich Sheridan & James Goebel discuss working with purpose to gain joy from your work while creating a non-traditional workplace structure where team members work in pairs, projects are peer-reviewed, and the responsibility of human resources belongs to everyone. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Hosted by Rufus Griscom, and featuring thought leaders Malcolm Gladwell, Susan Cain, Adam Grant, and Daniel Pink, The Next Big Idea brings you the most groundbreaking ideas that have the power to change the way you live, work and think. This week’s episode features a conversation about the power of being “weird.”
Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme with, Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Positive Changes in Corporate Culture: Allowing Inclusiveness, Equality, and Joy to Reign Supreme. Guests from Menlo Innovations Dan Roman, Scott Krumrei, Ruta Gokhale & Jane Ziolkowski discuss working for human forward organization that promotes a culture of joy and happiness in its employees, the products they make, and the work environment.. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.