How to Find Hope in the High Stakes World of Medicine and Healthcare with Dr. Deane Waldman and David Weill
Original Air Date Wednesday, December 8, 2021
Navigating the bureaucracy of the US healthcare system for patients and their families can be a trauma over and above the adverse medical event.
Over 100,000 Americans are waiting for an organ transplant and many of them may not have enough insurance coverage to cover the cost of the operation and the required post-op pharmaceuticals during recovery. To determine what can be done to repair our failing healthcare system and what it will take to have a nation of healthy people, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two medical doctors who wrote books about their respective fields of care. Dr. Deane Waldman is on a mission to cure the US healthcare system. He describes how the system is ill and the key takeaways from his book, Curing the Cancer in U. S. Healthcare: StatesCare and Market-Based Medicine. Dr. David Weill details the stories of the organ transplant process in his book, Exhale: Hope, Healing, and a Life in Transplant. He shares information about the donors, the recipients, and the vast network of people involved in the logistics of organ transplantation.
Dr. Deane Waldman — The World of Healthcare:
- In his book, Curing the Cancer in U. S. Healthcare: StatesCare and Market-Based Medicine Dr. Deane describes how the US healthcare system is broken. [2:27]
- Whose responsibility is it to teach basic healthcare and maintenance to citizens? [14:51]
- Disconnection is the root cause of the sickness in our healthcare system. [18:14]
- Access to good healthcare isn’t available to all Americans but could be under market-based medicine. [22:46]
Dr. Deane studied medicine and trained at Yale, Chicago Medical School, Mayo Clinic, Northwestern, and Harvard, and earned his MBA from Anderson Graduate Schools. As a consultant for hospitals, public and private organizations, as well as governments, Dr. Deane combines systems analysis and other management tools with the principles of good medical practice to diagnose and effectively treat sick systems, such as healthcare.
Book: Curing the Cancer in U. S. Healthcare: StatesCare and Market-Based Medicine
David Weill MD — High Stakes Medicine:
- Many Americans and their families are personally affected by organ failure and the transplant process. [31:24]
- David writes about some of his patients in his book, Exhale: Hope, Healing, and a Life in Transplant, and shares a few of their stories with Lisa. [35:52]
- The families of organ donors are extremely courageous during a sensitive time. [40:10]
- To receive an organ transplant a patient must be ready 24/7, 365 and in the best health possible. [46:02]
- There is a vast network of organ harvesters, people who distribute organs for transplant, and the impact of COVID-19 on the organ supply chain. [49:16]
David Weill MD is the former Director of the Center for Advanced Lung Disease and the Lung Transplant Program at Stanford. He is currently the Principal of Weill Consulting Group, which focuses on improving the delivery of transplant care. He lives with his wife and two daughters in New Orleans.
Book: Exhale: Hope, Healing, and a Life in Transplant
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Best Fiends — is the best action-packed adventure and a brain-boosting mobile puzzle game on the planet. So, when you need a break from the holidays, make Best Fiends your go-to digital playpal. Stress less and play more. Download the 5-star rated mobile puzzle game on the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Life transformation is possible through energy activation and the release of childhood trauma.
Happiness and joy bring good vibrations. And good vibrations bring more pleasure into our lives. Listen and learn how to extract the support you need from the universe.
Positive Parenting Raises Optimistic and Self-Assured Children with Dr. Tina Payne Bryson & Shauna Shapiro
Want to raise positive, confident & self-assured children? Lisa & guests Tina Payne Bryson Phd & Shauna Shapiro PhD discuss mindful parenting and what discipline really is.