Full Spectrum Diversity: Inclusive Culture, Gender Acceptance, and Creative Expression For All with Dr. Perry Halkitis & Don Haider-Markel
Original Air Date Wednesday, October 21, 2020
If you are a parent of a young adult, you might hear discussions about gender identity, inclusive culture, diversity, sexual orientation or sexual identity in your household.
Or, maybe there is radio silence in that department but as a person who works in substance abuse and trauma recovery, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen hears challenges with young adults daily. During this podcast, she speaks with two experts in diversity, equal rights and equal opportunities for LGBT and transgender communities. Dr. Perry Halkitis is the Founder and Director of the Center for Health, Identity, Behavior, and Prevention Studies. He shares how people can support loved ones who are exploring their identity and orientation. And, Don Haider-Markel is Professor and Chair of political science at the University of Kansas. He explains how culture and public policies affect LGBT and transgender communities and the progress the U.S. has made in these areas since the 1990s.
- Art is the harbinger of different gender and sexual identities into general acknowledgement. [4:11]
- Aligning with a gender may be more difficult in cities than in rural environments. [6:25]
- Defining sexual identity, gender identity, and those who were born in the binary world. [9:20]
- How to support those going through gender or sexual exploration? [16:04]
- The importance of culture and safe environments for diversity and healthy sexual expression. [24:12]
- Perry Halkitis explains simple ways to become sensitized and connect with loved ones. [29:16]
Perry N. Halkitis, Ph.D., M.S., MPH is a public health psychologist, researcher, educator, and advocate who is Dean and Professor of Biostatistics and Urban-Global Public Health at the School of Public Health at Rutgers University. Dr. Halkitis is the founder and director of the Center for Health, Identity, Behavior, and Prevention Studies (CHIBPS).
Book: Out in Time: The Public Lives of Gay Men from Stonewall to the Queer Generation
Don Haider-Markel — Building Diversity Through Policy:
- Anti-discrimination laws for transgender communities began emerging at local and state levels, with major progress made in 2005. [35:42]
- The benefits of a society offering a culture of equal rights and equal opportunities for all genders. [44:28]
- Public health policies that affect LGBT and transgender communities. [47:43]
- While the U.S. seems polarized right now, the Supreme Court has made landmark decisions that benefit the LGBT and transgender communities. [48:42]
- Why as a Political Science Professor, Don finds it challenging to explain the erosion of the democratic system above and beyond the two main political parties. [52:56]
Don Haider-Markel is Professor and Chair of political science at the University of Kansas. His research and teaching is focused on the representation of group interests in politics and policy, and the dynamics between public opinion, culture, political behavior, and public policy.
Book: Legislating Morality in America: Debating the Morality of Controversial U.S. Laws and Policies
Don Haider–Markel Professor Page @KU
This episode about diversity, culture, and gender acceptance is sponsored by:
Taking care of your mental health isn’t a luxury, it is a necessity. Unlike in-person therapy, TalkSpace gives you 24/7 access to your online therapy room. Send unlimited messages to your dedicated therapist and they’ll respond daily five days a week. Best of all a full month of TalkSpace costs about the same as a single in-person session. You can talk from the comfort of wherever you are with licensed therapists covering more than 40 specialties including LGBTQ, gender identity, depression, anxiety, and more. Harvesting Happiness Listeners can get $100.00 off their first month with the code HAPPINESS. Visit www.talkspace.com and enter the code HAPPINESS to receive your $100.00 off!
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your sustainable well-being and happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
On Becoming a Virtuoso of Life
On Becoming a Virtuoso of Life with Kenny Werner Original Air Date Wednesday, February 22, 2023 Many people criticize their abilities. Whether it is taming an instrument or their voice, they judge themselves in lieu of experiencing the joy of the music they aspire to...
Cultivating Dignity and Selfhood for the Deeply Forgetful
Cultivating Dignity and Selfhood for the Deeply Forgetful with Stephen Post PhD Original Air Date Wednesday, February 1, 2023 Age-related memory loss is a natural part of the aging process. Some people experience a more deeply-rooted memory issue, such as...
Lifelong Learning and the Pleasures of Intellectual Development
Lifelong Learning and the Pleasures of Intellectual Development with Zena Hitz PhD Original Air Date Wednesday, January 25, 2023 Socrates is credited with saying, “the unexamined life is not worth living”. Yet, our contemporary world of results-driven work leaves us...