Listener Favorite Returns: Designing a Life of Meaningful work at Any Age with Katharine Brooks Ph.D. & Dr. Amber Fossey
Original Air Date Wednesday, December 22, 2021
For most people, finding happiness and meaning isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when they think of work. But what if it was? What if individuals funneled their creativity and a little of their personal magic into designing a new work-life that was meaningful and fulfilling? To extract advice about designing a life of meaningful work, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors who have channeled their creativity into new careers and serve others through their books. Dr. Katharine Brooks revamped the famous career guide, What Color is Your Parachute? for 2021 and wrote two additional books during the pandemic. And, Forensic Psychiatrist, Dr. Amber Fossey found herself with a substantial Instagram and Etsy following when she tapped into her creative inner child. Her sense of childlike wonder is accompanied by her poetry and illustrations in the book, Be Wild Be Free.
Dr. Katharine Brooks — Find Meaningful Work:
- Curiosity drives Katie’s quirky and adventurous exploration of travel and food. [2:06]
- Post pandemic reinvention: How to land your dream job in a challenging job market. [4:50]
- Advice for younger people preparing to enter the job market. [10:24]
- Katharine Brooks spent her pandemic writing three books. [12:12]
- Tips and strategies for job hunting in the new world of work and acing digital interviews. [14:50]
- Translating personal interest into marketable skills. [21:56]
Katharine Brooks, PhD, is an award-winning career counselor, consultant, and writer who has directed career centers at Vanderbilt University, Wake Forest University, The University of Texas at Austin, and Dickinson College. A nationally certified counselor and board-certified coach, she has worked with thousands of job seekers and writes the “Career Transitions” blog for Psychology Today.
Book: What Color is Your Parachute? 2021
Dr. Amber Fossey — Channeling Childlike Creativity while Adulting:
- Amber describes forensic psychiatry and what interests her about working with the mind. [26:59]
- Parental leave afforded Amber time to invest in the creative side of her life, which was writing and drawing as she did as a child. [31:06]
- The role of creativity and art in health and wellness. [32:41]
- Amber looked to nature for inspiration when creating her book, Be Wild Be Free. [40:07]
- The wonder and amazement of children can and should be integrated into our adult lives whenever possible. [43:26]
Dr. Amber Fossey is the NHS-doctor-turned-artist behind @Zeppelinmoon, the hugely popular Instagram account and Etsy store with over 220k followers. As an expert in mental health, her uplifting and wickedly funny illustrated stories of weird and wonderful creatures are inspired by her experiences with all the dark & glorious facets of the human spirit and a fascination with animals.
Book: Be Wild Be Free
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Psychology of Money: Finessing Financial Security with Michelle Singletary & Scott Nations Original Air Date Wednesday, May 18, 2022 These days, more often than not, financial market headlines include the terms ‘market crash’, ‘bubble bursting’, ‘inflation’, or...
Mythology of Otherness: Building Resilience, Forgiveness, and Connection with John Crowley Ph.D. & Wendy Sanford MFA Original Air Date Wednesday, May 11, 2022 When we take a moment to go through the thought experiment of putting ourselves in the shoes of another,...
Human Healing: Restorative Practices for Real People and a Better World with Elena Mustakova EdD & Jason Gots Original Air Date Wednesday, May 4, 2022 To get in touch with our spiritual side we must clear out, bypass, cleanse, and filter through all of the...