Listener Favorite Returns: Transforming Suffering to Freedom: Gain Greater Resilience with Dr. Elizabeth Stanley & Blake D. Bauer
Original Air Date Wednesday, December 29, 2021
When we are children, unbeknownst to us, neural pathways are being wired together in our brains. This neural-biological wiring colors all our future decisions, how we deal with stress and trauma, and our level of contentment. If we experienced trauma as children, shifting how we interact with the world is not always easy. To discover strategies and concepts that help us heal, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors who have their own personal, transformational journeys. Dr. Elizabeth Stanley studies the neural biological wiring in our brain as it relates to stress and trauma. She shares concepts and strategies from her book, Widen the Window. And, Blake D. Bauer found his way out of addiction through meditation and mindfulness which he describes in his book, You Were Not Born to Suffer.
Dr. Elizabeth Stanley — The Science of Suffering and Resilience:
- Dr. Elizabeth Stanley explains her Widen the Window metaphor for resilience. [2:13]
- The thinking brain and the survival brain process stressors differently. [4:21]
- In her book, Widen the Window, Dr. Stanley studies the science of stress trauma and resilience. [6:35]
- Strategies for recovering from suffering, stress and trauma and widen your window. [13:33]
- The acceptable cultural behaviors that are double-edged swords. [19:28]
- Intergenerational trauma and how it plays out in families and social environments. [21:44]
Elizabeth A. Stanley, Ph.D., is an associate professor of security studies at Georgetown University. She is the creator of Mindfulness-Based Mind Fitness Training (MMFT)®, taught to thousands in civilian and military high-stress environments. A U.S. Army veteran with service in Asia and Europe, she holds degrees from Yale, Harvard, and MIT. She’s also is a certified practitioner of Somatic Experiencing
Book: Widen the Window: Training Your Brain and Body to Thrive During Stress and Recover from Trauma
Blake Bauer — Transforming Suffering into Freedom:
- Blake Bauer shares his personal journey through drug addiction. [28:01}
- Transforming self-judgment and self-destructive habits into self-love and self-care that result in freedom. [35:02]
- Blake explains the concepts of unconditional self-acceptance, self-love, and functional sanity. [40:45]
- The illusion of normalcy and the difficult task of surviving this world when you are exhausted. [46:33]
- Science shows mindfulness and meditation heals and it’s free to everyone. [51:08]
Blake D. Bauer is a world-renowned teacher and speaker with an extensive background in psychology, alternative medicine, nutrition, traditional healing, and mindfulness meditation. Based on his personal experience overcoming deep suffering, addiction, and adversity, as well as his professional success, Blake’s pioneering work integrates what he’s found to be the most effective approaches to freedom and to optimal mental, emotional, and physical health.
Book: You Were Not Born to Suffer: Love Yourself Back to Inner Peace, Health, Happiness & Fulfillment
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Cognitive Immunity: The Moral Mind of Critical Thinkers with Andy Norman Ph.D. & Allen Buchanan Ph.D. Original Air Date Wednesday, August 3, 2022 Most people want to be happy. Yet, the moral fabric of society lays prey to degradation caused by our evolutionary...
Disinformation Defense: Responsible Thinking and Pragmatic Perspectives with John Cook Ph.D. & Simon Critchley Ph.D. Original Air Date Wednesday, July 27, 2022 Throughout our existence, humans have dipped our proverbial toes into the how and the why of our...
Rising Adult Professionals: Stand-Up, Stand-Out, and Succeed with Julie Lythcott-Haims & Mark Zides Original Air Date Wednesday, June 15, 2022 Today’s job market is a stark contrast to the job market of 20-years ago. Millennials and Gen Z’ers who are entering the...