Rising Adult Professionals: Stand-Up, Stand-Out, and Succeed with Julie Lythcott-Haims & Mark Zides
Original Air Date Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Today’s job market is a stark contrast to the job market of 20-years ago. Millennials and Gen Z’ers who are entering the workforce have different ideas about what makes a successful career and a happy work life. Young adults who are empowered with the right tools to problem solve for themselves will be major assets for the organizations they join. How long they maintain a position will be up to the organization to foster their talent and the ability of the young adult professional to rise to find different opportunities within the same organization.
To discover how young adults entering the workforce can build a foundation of trust and commitment to achieve work/life success, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors about how young adult professionals can stand-up, stand-out, and succeed. Julie Lythcott-Haims is a New York Times bestselling author and former Stanford Dean of Freshman. She explores the role parents can play in raising empowered young adults and other reflections from her book, Your Turn: How to Be an Adult. Mark Zides is the CEO of CoreAxis Consulting and a serial entrepreneur. He discusses the core concepts he provides to young adults in his book, The #PACE Process for Early Career Success.
Julie Lythcott-Haims — The Journey to Adulthood:
- The components on the journey to adulthood. [1:55]
- In her book, Your Turn: How to Be an Adult, Julie shares the benefits of the empowering tool that is loving oneself. [3:29]
- Julie tells her empowering story of doing mindfulness work. [5:17]
- Gen Z has been raised to appreciate differences far more than previous generations. [9:13]
- Overprotective parents can cause anxiety in children. [10:32]
- Lisa and Julie share their parenting experiences and the lessons they’ve learned. [19:44]
- Julie explains terms from her book, Your Turn, get out of neutral, and the tragedy of unused potions. [25:01]
Julie Lythcott-Haims is the former Stanford dean of freshmen, author of the New York Times bestseller How to Raise an Adult, and of the lauded memoir Real American. She holds degrees from Stanford, Harvard Law, and California College of the Arts. Julie believes in humans and is deeply interested in what gets in our way. Her work encompasses writing, speaking, teaching, mentoring, and activism. She lives in San Francisco with her partner of over thirty years, their itinerant young adults, and her mother.
Book: Your Turn: How to Be an Adult
Mark Zides — Rising Adult Professionals:
- Mark describes the purpose of his book, The #PACE Process for Early Career Success, and who we wrote it for. [30:59]
- The #PACE process is designed to assist young adults when they enter the workforce. [32:06]
- The importance of cleaning up a social profile before applying for work. [35:17]
- Traits and behaviors Millennials and Gen Z’ers bring to the workforce. [37:29]
- Tapping into unknown opportunities to unlock success. [45:36]
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses and how it impacts a professional life. [51:03]
Mark Zides is the founder and CEO of CoreAxis Consulting, an award-winning Learning and Development, and Talent Management firm. He is also the founder of Katama, an agency specializing in sales strategy, marketing, and customer success for small-to-medium sized businesses, and Recipi, a digital marketing agency for rental event equipment companies
Book: The #PACE Process for Early Career Success
This podcast episode about adult professionals is sponsored by:
Daily Harvest — saves me precious time and feeds my family fresh, natural, big nutrition by delivering convenience without compromise to my doorstep. Daily Harvest supports farmers who invest in practices that increase biodiversity, improve soil health, and deliver food in recyclable and compostable packaging. Daily Harvest does all the work so all you have to do is eat and enjoy. Go to DailyHarvest.com/harvesting to get up to $40 off your 1st box.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Voices Carry: Stories of Power, Equality, and Respect with Elizabeth Lesser & Donna Freitas Ph.D. Original Air Date Wednesday, September 21, 2022 Throughout human history, men have been the storytellers and the scribes. How might our cultures have changed if we...
Personal Agency and Positive Disruption with Paul Napper PsyD & Daniel Burrus Original Air Date Wednesday, August 24, 2022 Overstimulation is affecting us all. Everywhere we turn screens, people, and devices are battling for our attention. Without the right...
Cognitive Immunity: The Moral Mind of Critical Thinkers with Andy Norman Ph.D. & Allen Buchanan Ph.D. Original Air Date Wednesday, August 3, 2022 Most people want to be happy. Yet, the moral fabric of society lays prey to degradation caused by our evolutionary...