The Wisdom Toolbox: Igniting Compassionate Observation and Action for the Greater Good with Dr. Dilip Jeste & Debra Silverman
Original Air Date Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Who do you think of when you think of the wisest person you know? Did you think of a grandparent or a mature mentor? If so, it is because when we begin the process of accepting ourselves and appreciating our lives as gifts, we naturally embrace empathy and compassion to become more resilient and wise. These understandings usually go hand-in-hand with aging. It is possible to accelerate the gaining of wisdom and create balance in our lives earlier but, we must first understand our inherent personality traits and the essential elements that rule our emotions. In this episode, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with Dr. Dilip Jeste about his book, Wiser: The Scientific Roots of Wisdom, Compassion, and What Makes Us Good and famed Astrologer Debra Silverman about her book, The Missing Element: Inspiring Compassion for the Human Condition to root out what causes us to feel compassion for ourselves and others.
Dr. Dilip Jeste — Compassion and Empathy Lead to Wisdom:
- Older adults can be a wellspring of wisdom and resilience. [2:00]
- Can we learn to be wiser or accelerate the accumulation of wisdom? [6:01]
- Dr. Jeste offers tips to broaden compassion and empathy. [11:34][8:37]
- Dr. Jeste explains why he focuses his time on Positive Psychiatry. [14:21]
- Tracking the happiness level of the average human and how a grandparents’ involvement in a child’s life is beneficial. [19:47]
Book: Wiser: The Scientific Roots of Wisdom, Compassion, and What Makes Us Good
- When seeking wisdom it is best to go back to basics. [27:33]
- How astrology can be used to cultivate greater balance in our lives and our stories. [29:06]
- The four elements that help us manage our personality types. [31:43]
- The observer in our lives offers us power and free will. [39:59]
- In Debra’s Youtube video series, she plays the essence of each astrological sign. [45:12]
- Lisa reads Sting’s recommendation for Debra’s book, The Missing Element. [53:27]
Book: The Missing Element: Inspiring Compassion for the Human Condition
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Apostrophe a prescription skincare company makes it easy and convenient to see a board-certified dermatologist online. Apostrophe prescribes oral and topical medications to help remove wrinkles, acne, and dark spots and reveal that fresh, youthful skin! Get $15.00 off your first visit today! Visit www.apostrophe.com/harvesting, then use code HARVESTING at checkout to receive $15.00 off your first visit.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Infodemic Inoculation: Exercising Thought Intelligence Through Whole Brain Thinking with Andy Norman Ph.D. & John Cook Ph.D.
Since ancient times infectious ideas and philosophies have spread like wildfire throughout society. Learn how to inoculate your mind with an upgraded, modernized Socratic approach to dissecting information and easily engage openly with opposing points of view.
Multiple Intelligences: Creating a Connected Society and Culture with Fred Dust & Dr. Thomas Hoerr Original Air Date Wednesday, June 9, 2021 People feel happier when they are emotionally engaged in meaningful conversations and when actively invested...
Medical Intuitives: Where Divine Insight and Medicine Meet with Wendie Colter, Professor Paul J. Mills, & Reverend Tiffany Barsotti
Medical Intuitives: Where Divine Insight and Medicine Meet with Wendie Colter, Professor Paul J. Mills, & Reverend Tiffany Barsotti Original Air Date Wednesday, May 19, 2021 Western medicine rarely discusses the electromagnetic field that surrounds...