The Wisdom Toolbox: Igniting Compassionate Observation and Action for the Greater Good with Dr. Dilip Jeste & Debra Silverman
Original Air Date Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Who do you think of when you think of the wisest person you know? Did you think of a grandparent or a mature mentor? If so, it is because when we begin the process of accepting ourselves and appreciating our lives as gifts, we naturally embrace empathy and compassion to become more resilient and wise. These understandings usually go hand-in-hand with aging. It is possible to accelerate the gaining of wisdom and create balance in our lives earlier but, we must first understand our inherent personality traits and the essential elements that rule our emotions. In this episode, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with Dr. Dilip Jeste about his book, Wiser: The Scientific Roots of Wisdom, Compassion, and What Makes Us Good and famed Astrologer Debra Silverman about her book, The Missing Element: Inspiring Compassion for the Human Condition to root out what causes us to feel compassion for ourselves and others.
Dr. Dilip Jeste — Compassion and Empathy Lead to Wisdom:
- Older adults can be a wellspring of wisdom and resilience. [2:00]
- Can we learn to be wiser or accelerate the accumulation of wisdom? [6:01]
- Dr. Jeste offers tips to broaden compassion and empathy. [11:34][8:37]
- Dr. Jeste explains why he focuses his time on Positive Psychiatry. [14:21]
- Tracking the happiness level of the average human and how a grandparents’ involvement in a child’s life is beneficial. [19:47]
Book: Wiser: The Scientific Roots of Wisdom, Compassion, and What Makes Us Good
- When seeking wisdom it is best to go back to basics. [27:33]
- How astrology can be used to cultivate greater balance in our lives and our stories. [29:06]
- The four elements that help us manage our personality types. [31:43]
- The observer in our lives offers us power and free will. [39:59]
- In Debra’s Youtube video series, she plays the essence of each astrological sign. [45:12]
- Lisa reads Sting’s recommendation for Debra’s book, The Missing Element. [53:27]
Book: The Missing Element: Inspiring Compassion for the Human Condition
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Apostrophe a prescription skincare company makes it easy and convenient to see a board-certified dermatologist online. Apostrophe prescribes oral and topical medications to help remove wrinkles, acne, and dark spots and reveal that fresh, youthful skin! Get $15.00 off your first visit today! Visit www.apostrophe.com/harvesting, then use code HARVESTING at checkout to receive $15.00 off your first visit.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
The Science and Practice of Enduring Change: Alter Your Attitude and Find Your Flourish with Richard Lane MD, Ph.D., Gay Hendricks, & Carol Kline
Is it time to change your perspective on positive change? Current research in the field of neuroscience gives us a solid framework to update our emotions, effectively release past trauma and move forward with a conscious mindset that allows us to create our own luck.
Awake and Aware: The Science of Becoming a Better Human and Society with Stuart Shanker & Jim Davies PhD
Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on being a better human and society. Guests Stuart Shanker and Jim Davies PhD discuss managing the constant barrage of distractions brought on by modern life, optimizing your life and taking back our productivity. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.