Designing a Life of Meaningful work at Any Age with Katharine Brooks Ph.D. & Dr. Amber Fossey
Original Air Date Wednesday, June 2, 2021
For most people, finding happiness and meaning isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when they think of work. But what if it was? What if individuals funneled their creativity and a little of their personal magic into designing a new work-life that was meaningful and fulfilling? To extract advice about designing a life of meaningful work, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two authors who have channeled their creativity into new careers and serve others through their books. Dr. Katharine Brooks revamped the famous career guide, What Color is Your Parachute? for 2021 and wrote two additional books during the pandemic. And, Forensic Psychiatrist, Dr. Amber Fossey found herself with a substantial Instagram and Etsy following when she tapped into her creative inner child. Her sense of childlike wonder is accompanied by her poetry and illustrations in the book, Be Wild Be Free.
Dr. Katharine Brooks — Find Meaningful Work:
- Curiosity drives Katie’s quirky and adventurous exploration of travel and food. [2:06]
- Post pandemic reinvention: How to land your dream job in a challenging job market. [4:50]
- Advice for younger people preparing to enter the job market. [10:24]
- Katharine Brooks spent her pandemic writing three books. [12:12]
- Tips and strategies for job hunting in the new world of work and acing digital interviews. [14:50]
- Translating personal interest into marketable skills. [21:56]
Book: What Color is Your Parachute? 2021
Dr. Amber Fossey — Channeling Childlike Creativity while Adulting:
- Amber describes forensic psychiatry and what interests her about working with the mind. [26:59]
- Parental leave afforded Amber time to invest in the creative side of her life, which was writing and drawing as she did as a child. [31:06]
- The role of creativity and art in health and wellness. [32:41]
- Amber looked to nature for inspiration when creating her book, Be Wild Be Free. [40:07]
- The wonder and amazement of children can and should be integrated into our adult lives whenever possible. [43:26]
Dr. Amber Fossey is the NHS-doctor-turned-artist behind @Zeppelinmoon, the hugely popular Instagram account and Etsy store with over 220k followers. As an expert in mental health, her uplifting and wickedly funny illustrated stories of weird and wonderful creatures are inspired by her experiences with all the dark & glorious facets of the human spirit and a fascination with animals.
Book: Be Wild Be Free
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Traumatic Legacies: Reconciling Our Emotional Baggage with Galit Atlas Ph.D. & Elizabeth Rosner Original Air Date Wednesday, October 19, 2022 Even though humans grasp the double-helix-shaped chain of our DNA strands, very little is understood about the...
Meaning-Making: Loss, Love, and Life Lessons with Susan Lax & Barbara Becker Original Air Date Wednesday, October 5, 2022 Most people in our society celebrate life once a year with lavish birthday parties, happy songs, and sweet gatherings. But, when it comes to...
Voices Carry: Stories of Power, Equality, and Respect with Elizabeth Lesser & Donna Freitas Ph.D. Original Air Date Wednesday, September 21, 2022 Throughout human history, men have been the storytellers and the scribes. How might our cultures have changed if we...