Life-Changing Lessons to Live by: How to Laugh and Love Your Way to Sustainable Happiness with Dr. David Levy, Ph.D. & Tal Ben-Shahar
Original Air Date Wednesday, January 15th, 2020
According to a 75-year Harvard study about happiness, the number one predictor of both health and happiness is relationships. Non-virtual, real-life communication and connection are the keys to make us emotionally wealthy and add value and purpose to our lives. To discover how we can relish in our relationships and simmer in the positive side effects of unhappiness, Positive Psychology Podcast Host, Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks to two authors who lecture on positive psychology and write about their life lessons. Dr. David Levy shares the life-changing experiences that led him to appreciate happiness during challenging times and Tal Ben-Shahar describes the lessons he learned about contentment with the human condition from his barber, Avi.
Does something in this conversation resonate with you? Are you in need of a professional speaker who can elevate your tribe & enliven your culture? Lisa Cypers Kamen is an award-winning speaker, author & happiness expert who facilitates life-changing presentations for organizations of any size. The science is clear, happier people thrive in life. If you are ready to inject joy into your organization, find out which program is best for you at Lisa’s Live Events.
- Dr. Levy describes the inspirational writings that changed his life and influenced his book, Life is a 4-Letter Word. [1:52]
- The beauty of living in the moment and the positive side effects of disasters and grief. [6:12]
- Dr. Levy shares an example of a silly mistake he made in his life that taught him a life lesson. [10:56]
- How to have fun in a conversation with a narcissist and going for the tie with your partner. [14:05]
- Why it is OK to fake it until you make it. [24:27]
Dr. David A. Levy is an award-winning Professor of Psychology at Pepperdine University, where he has been teaching since 1986. He received his BA in theater arts from UCLA before earning two MA
degrees and his Ph.D. in psychology. Dr. Levy is often sought out by the media as a psychological consultant on current events and for insights into the mental health field.
Book: Life is a 4-letter Word: Laughing and Learning Through 40 Life Lessons
- Tal shares current happiness statistics and explains why levels have dropped over generations in certain parts of the world. [27:45]
- The invisible co-author who inspired Tal to write his book, Short Cuts to Happiness and the inherent therapy of a haircut. [30:20]
- Tal explains how embracing unhappiness allows happiness to flow within us. [40:58]
- Tal reads a poignant chapter from Short Cuts to Happiness. [44:12]
Tal Ben-Shahar is an author, lecturer, and has taught two of the largest classes in Harvard University’s history, Positive Psychology and The Psychology of Leadership. Today, Tal consults and lectures around the world to executives in multinational corporations, the general public, and at-risk populations.
Book: Short Cuts to Happiness: Life-Changing Lessons from My Barber
This episode of Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio is sponsored by:
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A guidebook for learning how to harvest happiness through self-mastery. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H-Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film that explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally-desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
“Happiness is the lubricant that goes in between the challenging parts of life.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Life is short. Let's have fun but having fun doesn't mean you can't be wise and deep at the same time.” @TalBenSharar on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“It's easy for human beings to turn to the negative but you have to take an inventory of what you have and be grateful.” @DavidLevyAuthor on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“Most of us entrust our hairdresser or barber with our confidences they are our armchair psychologists.” @LisaKamen on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“A life without meaning is just dreadful to me.” @DavidLevyAuthor on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet“The first step to bringing more happiness into our lives is allowing in unhappiness.” @TalBenSharar on @HH_TalkRadio Click To Tweet
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Breaking Yourself Wide Open to Create Personal and Professional Greatness with Diana Wong Ph.D. & Darrin Tulley
• Purpose-driven and consciously prepared brain food from the beaches of Malibu, California. Join us on this week’s show focusing on Breaking Yourself Wide Open to Create Personal and Professional Greatness. Guests Diana Wong Ph.D. & Darrin Tulley discuss the core elements of a visionary business leader, why it’s essential to learn the soft skills in life and strategic planning for implementing change in business and life. To learn more visit HarvestingHappinessTalkRadio.com.
Understand and Activate Your Subconscious Mind with Dr. Mike Dow & Mark Gober Original Air Date Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Most people have pondered their purpose in life. ‘Why am I here?’ and ‘what am I here to do?’ are common questions we ask of the...
Wondery Presents The School of Greatness With Lewis Howes Original Air Date Thursday, March 12, 2020 The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes is the best place to learn how to dream bigger, live better, and make an impact. The show features conversations with...