The Grown-Up Inner Work of Aging and Adulting with Dr. Connie Zweig & Ira Israel
Original Air Date Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Secure, loving relationships are the cornerstone of happiness. The deeper and more intimate our relationships the less we have to resent and regret as we age. Many consider becoming an adult to be a number we grow into, but our chronological age differs vastly from what it means to mature. To explore processes that assist us in overcoming our childhood triggers and unconscious shadows, Positive Psychology Podcast Host Lisa Cypers Kamen speaks with two adults who examine what creates a purposeful life as we live and age. Dr. Connie Zweig is a retired therapist and Elder who explains the key processes from her book, The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul. Ira Israel is a Coach, Counselor, and Therapist who discusses what it means to be a successful adult and the goal of his book, How to Survive Your Childhood Now That You Are an Adult.
Dr. Connie Zweig — The Inner Work of Aging and Adulting:
- During this global longevity shift, there is an opportunity to change from what we do to who we are. [1:46]
- Connie describes how the shadow unconscious sabotages conscious desires. [4:00] ]
- Our ageist culture influences our inner ageist shadow which can debilitate us as we get older. [6:21]
- The process of working with and changing our relationship with our inner ageist shadow. [9:32]
- In her book, The Inner Work of Age, Connie shares how to connect conscious processes to unconscious processes. [16:50]
- The three steps of gaining the rite of passage of age. [22:04]
- From ‘Role to Soul’, a phrase borrowed from Ram Dass, is apt to explain the process when we experience our true nature. [23:42]
Connie Zweig, Ph.D., is a retired therapist and author of several books. Her newest, The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul, (Sept. 2021), extends shadow-work into late life and teaches aging as a spiritual practice. Connie has been doing contemplative practices for 50 years. She is a wife and grandmother and was initiated as an Elder by Sage-ing International in 2017. After investing in all these roles, she is practicing the shift from role to soul.
Book: The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul
Ira Israel — Aging and Adulting
- Ira explains the distinction between a child and an adult, which is honoring your word. [29:15]
- The individuation process in our society is stark and abrupt, and it creates a primal abandonment wound. [34:16]
- Humans are living with privileges never before experienced by our ancestors. [37:12]
- Overcoming resentment begins with acceptance. [41:07]
- Ira says the goal of his book, How to Survive Your Childhood Now That You Are an Adult, is to mitigate hypocrisy. [44:06]
- Leaning into authenticity is the key to successful aging and adulting. [50:17]
Ira Israel is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and Mindful Relationship Coach. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and has graduate degrees in Psychology, Philosophy, and Religious Studies. Ira has taught mindfulness to thousands of people from all walks of life across America.
Book: How to Survive Your Childhood Now That You’re an Adult: A Path to Authenticity and Awakening
Prose — makes custom hair care using natural ingredients that are tailored to your needs with proven results. Prose is a carbon-neutral certified B-corp that sustainably collects ingredients for it’s products. Take your free in-depth hair consultation and get 15% off your first order of custom-blended hair care plan at Prose.com/Happiness.
Are We Happy Yet? Eight Keys to Unlocking a Joyful Life — A boot camp manual for greater emotional fitness. Happiness waits for no one and sometimes we all need support. What is getting in the way of your happiness right now?
H–Factor: Where is Your Heart? — Lisa’s documentary film explores the journey of human happiness. Emotions are contagious and happiness is a universally desired state. We tend to forget we all have the freedom to be happy or the liberty to be miserable each day.
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
Positive Parenting Raises Optimistic and Self-Assured Children with Dr. Tina Payne Bryson & Shauna Shapiro
Want to raise positive, confident & self-assured children? Lisa & guests Tina Payne Bryson Phd & Shauna Shapiro PhD discuss mindful parenting and what discipline really is.
Seeking, Selecting, and Securing Sustainable Love with Jacquie Del Rosario Ph.D. & Cristina Pineda Original Air Date Wednesday, July 14, 2021 Finding true love is not a quest for the meek. Some men and women search for years for a partner in which to share...
Want to know the secrets to preventing, or at best delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s? How can we do better in our approach to elder care? What’s it like to journey through Alzheimer’s disease? What role does nutrition and exercise play in this?